11.18.2011

Food to Love : Warms the soul.



Do you ever have those weeks where the mere thought of cooking meals for the next 5 days is so daunting that you almost want to give in to spending hundreds of dollars at restaurants instead. Well, this Monday felt like that for me. Sometimes I just run out of steam to cook. And I truly love cooking. I love finding new recipes and love the look on husbands face when I have made something new and delicious! But, I only love that when I have unlimited time and have all of the ingredients at my fingertips to create such beautiful meals. It has been a little chilly this week and we have been hiding under a rock hurrying to finish all of our projects before our niece and nephew are born AND the holidays begin. We are so excited about both of these occasions that we want to have as little work to do so we can soak this time up as much as we can :)

Anyway, all this to say I made a mean pot of potato soup and it has lasted us four, yes FOUR, nights. Husband even says he is not tired of it (which, I only half way believe) and I am pretty sure I am going to scrape the pot clean today for lunch. It is so easy and so delish! So if you find yourself wanting to save up all of your cooking energy for this coming Thursday (gobble, gobble) then whip this up for yourself, I promise it won't disappoint. xo.

Country Potato Soup

1/8 cup butter
green onion sliced thinly
1 large onion sliced thinly
1/2 quarts chicken stock (I mixed part stock part milk)
6 large peeled and chopped potatoes
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 cup heavy cream
10 slices of bacon cooked crispy and crumbled
shredded cheddar cheese
s&p to taste

In a large stock pot boil sliced potatoes until soft (about 15 minutes). Drain and return to pot. In a saucepan add butter and onions until caramelized and translucent. Add chicken stock (and/or milk) and cream to potatoes and blend with hand mixer until a smooth soupy (is that a word?) consistency forms. I just kept adding liquid until I felt it was just right. Stir in onions, salt, pepper, and thyme. Divvy up in bowls and enjoy with bacon, cheddar and a few chopped green onions on top!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails